Director level position responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan to address workforce and economic development issues and strategies in the Greater Wyoming Valley Region. This includes creating a model for industry-led workforce development, recruitment, and maintaining a skilled workforce as well as growing and strengthening our entrepreneurial community. The Director of Workforce Solutions and WB Connect is employed by both the Greater Wyoming Valley Chamber of Business & Industry under Wilkes-Barre Connect. This position reports to the COO/EVP of the Chamber and will work in concert with all other Chamber employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Workforce Development- Connect talent, opportunity, and education. Partner with all stakeholders to develop the overall strategy, as well as the individual tactics necessary to achieve specific and measurable objectives.
- Evaluate and establish workforce programs relevant to the needs of local industry and employers.
- Build upon the existing talent pool within the Greater Wilkes-Barre area region to support current workforce needs and anticipates future workforce requirements in the area.
- Collaborate with educational and community partners to develop education and mapping programs/tools to direct students from high school into vocational programs with community colleges / technical schools, then into critical roles with local businesses.
- Partner with regional universities, community colleges, trade schools, and high schools to provide the training and education needed to support the existing and emerging workforce needs of local employers.
- Actively support/sponsor adults who wish to continue their education and training to build their skill-sets in order to elevate their career with companies throughout the Greater Wyoming Valley Region.
- Work with local businesses to create and coordinate internships/job shadowing/co-op experiences, etc
- Wilkes-Barre Connect Partners Meeting Agenda and Reports: Work with COC staff and the Institute to set agenda for meetings, including preparation of content, reports, and required motions.
- Website & Portal Management: Provide and maintain content for necessary real-time website updates.
- Representation: Represent the WBC program (and Chamber) at events, programs, and in business development situations (client/deal flow).
- Lead Generation: Identify and encourage business entry into the Wilkes-Barre Connect database system.
- Oversee and Reimagine Existing Programs to Include:
- Spotlight Series: Assist in the structuring of each event, including the securing of speakers, promotions, and driving attendance (minimum 75 attendees per event).
- Honor Series: Assist in the structuring of each event, including the securing of presenters, promotions, and driving attendance (10 participants per event).
- Pitch Series: Assist in the structuring of each live event, including promotion and securing of investors. Also promoting the application process in securing businesses, leading the Pitch review committee and conducting the scrub sessions (3 participating companies per event).
- 101 Series: Work with the COC staff and SBDC to schedule video recordings, develop the online video library, and promote the site (while providing analytics).
- Intern Series: Assist the COC in managing the site and driving students and businesses into the program (50 businesses by end of year).
- Northeast PREP: Represent the CBI as the PREP Board Member and provide the functions outlined within the PREP contract, including uploading data into Executive Pulse.
- Engage: Contracted role to execute on the deliverables outline in Engage contract, including conducting town halls, interviews and inputting data into Executive Pulse.
- Activity Reports: Prepare and present Economic Development/Wilkes-Barre Connect activity reports for CBI and/or COC Board meetings and quarterly ED reports (COC).
- Quarterly/Annual Reports: Work in coordination with the Institute and COC to produce content for our quarterly ED reports.
- Oversee Lead Management: Manage all leads, research, and economic development informational requests submitted to the Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber.**
- Identify and define any obstacles to individuals relocating and strategy for success. Create and implement a relocation package with community partners.
- Develop a marketing strategy for the new workforce initiative
- Sponsorship: Secure sponsorship for Wilkes-Barre Connect programs and operations, to include private, foundational, and public funding sources. This includes the Chamber Foundation Pledge in conjunction with the President and COO Chamber
- INVENT Penn State Coordinator: Manage operations and serve as Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber representative, as defined in the INVENT Penn State MOU.
- Funding Opportunities – State & Federal programs and opportunities in coordinating with the COO
- CEDO: Serve as professional staff for state CEDO designation
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Business, Economics, Planning or Public Administration and 6 years of professional experience in economic development and/or community development activities OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of Wilkes-Barre Connect system
• Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
• Be knowledgeable and proficient in P.C. word processing, spreadsheet, Internet, and e-mail.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in teambuilding and teamwork.
$55,000 to $65,000 year based on candidate’s experience
** Note: Our offices are work from home currently, but following guideline and safety, will return to the office when it is safe to do so.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.